Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Going with the good

It's cold. The weather is wet and icy. A lingering virus has been slowly making its way through the house (I hope it leaves soon). We are a fully unemployed household at the moment with a mortgage and plenty of bills. There is plenty to be anxious and depressed about (which I confess I am) but, BUT there is also spring to consider.

Yes spring.

I've been dreaming lately about crop rotations in the garden and trying different plants out in containors and adding to our baby orchard. Yesterday I decided the hell with it and placed a seed order and joined the Arbor Day Foundation and bought four more fruit trees. You know I am so glad I did. It has perked me up far more than spending money these days should!

Now I am anticipating burgandy beans, carrots in varying hues, watermelons, various tomatoes, snap peas and all sorts of other yummy treats. I'm also dreaming of what our fruit trees will look like in a few years as they have a chance to grow bigger and stronger. Will there be enough apples and cherries for us to have more than a taste? Mmmmm I hope so!

By the time the first fruits show up on the trees we will be past this current uncertainty. I don't know what the future will bring but I do know that these little steps, planting these seeds, are the right thing to do. Though I can't guarentee a bumper crop, they will grow and bloom and so will we.

No comments: