Monday, February 16, 2009

Reading '"The Omnivore's Dilemma" changed the way I feed my family and myself.

Even though there are so many books that have had an impact on me, few have caused me to make an outright lifestyle change.


Learning more about industrial farming practices and how harmful they are to not only the animals but also to all of us and the environment (a thing I already knew intuitively but was able to ignore by and large) made me take a long hard look at my lifestyle and what we choose to spend our money on and ways to support our community and sustainable practices.



With my husband currently laid-off I'm not able to stick to my resolutions as much as I had been over the last two years but we try to buy almost all of the meat we eat from a local farm in town. We pick and freeze quarts and quarts of berries from another local farm in the summer. I made and froze a bunch of applesauce from locally picked apples this fall and will do so again next season. In addition I keep expanding our garden every year to grow more and more of our own fruits and vegetables and look forward to getting a small flock of laying hens when my children are a bit older and better able to help care for them. I make a concious effort to buy as local as I can when I purchase staples and other foods from the grocery store (wild caught shrimp from Maine, King Arthur flour, and so on).

No comments: